Print

 

THE CYPRUS AGRICULTURAL FORESTRY, TRANSPORT, PORT, SEAMEN AND ALLIED

OCCUPATIONS TRADE UNION PEO

 

BACKGROUND

Before this Trade Union took its present organizational structure it has gone through various stages and forms.

On the 11th January, 1940 the Trade Union of Transport Workers was established in Limassol. On 26/4/1940 the Trade Union of Transport Workers in Nicosia and in the same year (6/9/1940) the Trade Union of Transport Workers was established in Larnaca. On 12/12/1947 all these Trade Unions were amalgamated and established the Transport and General Workers Trade Union of Cyprus.

On 17/122/1942 the Trade Union of Port Workers was established in Famagusta. On 30/11/1942 the Limassol Trade Union of Port Workers was established and on 19/8/1942 the Larnaca Trade Union of Boatmen was established. Later on (26/3/1940) these Unions were amalgamated and established the Port Workers, Porters, Warehouse and Fishing Workers Trade Union of Cyprus.

On 25/6/1978 the unifying Conference took place. The Conference decided to unite the two Unions to one. So, the new Union was named: Pancyprian Trade Union of Transport, Portworkers, Seamen and General Workers.

On the 21st June, 1981 and 9th December, 1990 two Pancyprian Conferences took place during which constitutional changes were decided.

The first local Trade Union of Agricultural Workers started to be established from 1940 as follows:

- 28/3/1940 in Kiti, Pervolia and Dromolaxia
- 9/8/1940 in Morphou
- 11/3/1941 in Famagusta

On 27/10/1942 the Trade Union of Wood-cutters and Forestry Workers was established in Kambos Tsakkistra with a branch in Milikouri village.

In 1942 the local Unions were unified and the first District Trade Union of Agricultural and General Workers emerged. These Unions were registered as follows:

Larnaca: Date of Registration 6/11/2942
Famagusta: Date of Registration 14/11/1942
Nicosia: Date of Registration 11/1/1943

The District Trade Unions and their Branches in 35 villages of Cyprus and the Trade Union of Workers in Lanitis Farm were amalgamated to a Pancyprian Trade Union. This was decided by the First Pancyprian Conference which took place on 5/7/1959.

In 1960 the Trade Union of Wood-cutters and Forestry Workers of Kambos Tsakkistras, the Trade Union of General Workers of Ormidia, Xylophagou and others joined the Pancyprian Union.

With accession of the Trade Union of Wood-cutters and Forestry workers the title of the union changed to: The Cyprus Agricultural Forestry and General Workers Trade Union (PEO).

In 1972 the Branch Union of Packing Agricultural Products moved from the Trade Union of Portworkers and Warehouses and joined the Trade Union of Agricultural Workers.

On 13th February, 1971, 15th February, 1975 and 13th October, 1985 Pancyprian Conferences took place in which constitutional changes were effected.

On the 29/9/1996 a unifying Conference took place which amalgamated the two Unions i.e. the Pancyprian Trade Union of Transport, Portworkers, Seamen and General Employees and the Cyprus Agricultural Forestry and General Workers Trade Union into one Union the title of which is

“CYPRUS AGRICULTURAL, FORESTRY, TRANSPORT, PORT,
  SEAMEN AND ALLIED OCCUPATIONS TRADE UNION PEO
  (SEGDAMELIN-PEO)”

During the period 2000 – 2009, four Constitutional Conferences took place (20/01/2000, 07/10/2000, 09/06/2004 and 12/03/2009) in which various constitutional changes were effected.

Last Updated on Monday, 17 February 2014 10:23

Keep Informed

Subscribe to receive information and news by email - FREE



Latest News

You are here:   HomeTRADE UNIONSSEGDAMELINHISTORY